Image: Bonnie Fukazawa, Resident Artist 2019
To assist students who are deferring the start of their courses or taking a semester/year out, or artists who are needing uninterrupted additional studio time, Burren College of Art can provide a bridge from disruption to new exploration through our residency programmes. In particular, our Residency+ and Burren Immersion: 12 Week Residency programmes provide the opportunity to continue developing artistic practice with academic support in the context of a small artistic community.
While these programmes do not offer academic credit, they provide special study opportunities for artists working at all levels to continue their artistic practice and academic development in a safe and supportive artistic community in the context of a high level art educational environment. Resident health and well being is our priority, and each artist in residence will receive a large, well-ventilated studio space in which to work. Residents are also encouraged to engage outdoors with the unique, protected landscape of the Burren, in which the college is situated.
The Residency + programme offers studio time combined with weekly meetings with BCA faculty, access to our Visiting Artists programme and campus facilities in sculpture, painting, drawing and photography. The programme runs for a four week period during the academic year (September – April). Additional seminars, exhibitions and events throughout the semester further animate the programme.
- Offered in 4-week long sessions during January, February, March, April, September, October and November.
- Weekly advisory sessions with faculty
- 24/7 access to your own studio space in a shared building
- Use of campus facilities: 3D sculpture lab, digital print lab, black and white photography darkroom, printing press, lighting studio, library and Wi-Fi throughout the campus
- Optional attendance at exhibition openings, public lectures and film screenings, and additional campus events.
The monthly fee for the Residency + programme is €1200 per 4-week period. Accommodation is separate.
Available dates for the Residency + programme are:
- Monday January 9 – Friday February 3 – FULL
- Monday February 5 – Friday March 3 – FULL
- Monday March 6 – Friday March 31 – FULL
- Monday September 4 – Friday September 29 – WAITING LIST
- Monday October 2 – Friday October 27 – WAITING LIST
- Monday October 30 – Friday November 24 – WAITING LIST
2024 (Additional dates TBD)
- Monday January 8 – Friday February 2
- Monday February 5 – Friday March 1
- Monday March 4 – Friday March 29
- Monday September 2 – Friday September 27
- Monday September 30 – Friday October 25
- Monday October 28 – Friday November 22
- Monday November 24 – Friday December 13 (2-3 week residency)
Residency + Application Form
PLEASE NOTE: Once you’ve submitted your application, you should immediately see an acknowledgement page confirming the submission. If you do not see this, please contact Lisa Newman at email@example.com to make sure your application has been received by the College.