For art students and recent graduates the current Covid 19 pandemic has resulted in the curtailment of studies, disruption to artistic practice and a period of uncertainty. To assist students who are deferring the start of their courses or taking a semester/year out, or graduates who are needing uninterrupted additional studio time, Burren College of Art can provide a bridge from disruption to firmer ground through our residency programmes. In particular, our Residency+ and Burren Immersion: 12 Week Residency programmes provide the opportunity to continue developing artistic practice with academic support in the context of a small artistic community.
While these programmes do not offer academic credit, they provide special study opportunities for artists working at all levels to continue their artistic practice and academic development in a safe and supportive artistic community in the context of a high level art educational environment. Resident health and well being is our priority, and each artist in residence will receive a large, well-ventilated studio space in which to work, following covid regulations including social distancing and using hygiene protocols. Residents are also encouraged to engage outdoors with the unique, protected landscape of the Burren, in which the college is situated.
The Residency + programme offers studio time combined with weekly meetings with BCA faculty, access to our Visiting Artists programme and selected workshops in sculpture, painting, drawing and photography. The programme runs for a four week period during the Autumn semester (September – December). Additional seminars, exhibitions and events throughout the semester further animate the programme.
- Offered in 4-week long sessions during January, February, March, April, September, October and November
- Weekly advisory sessions with faculty
- 24/7 access to your own studio space in a shared building
- Use of campus facilities: 3D sculpture lab, digital print lab, black and white photography darkroom, lighting studio, library and Wi-Fi throughout the campus
- Optional attendance at exhibition openings, public lectures and film screenings, and additional campus events.
The monthly fee for the Residency + programme is €1140. Accommodation is separate.
Available dates for the Residency + programme are:
- Monday September 6 – Friday September 30 – WAITING LIST
- Monday October 17 – Friday November 11
- Monday November 14 – Friday December 9
- Monday November 28 – Friday December 26 (3 week residency)
- Monday January 9 – Friday February 3
- Monday February 5 – Friday March 3
- Monday March 6 – Friday March 31
- Monday September 4 – Friday September 29
- Monday October 2 – Friday October 27
- Monday October 30 – Friday November 24