Providing Time, Space and Inspiration is the founding principle of Burren College of Art. Our Residencies provide a place to retreat, reflect, and explore your practice outside of the demands and rigors of daily routine. Set in the centre of one of Europe’s most dramatic landscapes, the Burren is a place where the power and beauty of nature envelops and invites you to expand your vision and abilities as an artist.
Our residency program welcomes applications from artists working at all levels and stages of their careers. While our primary BCA Artist Residency program provides dedicated studio space and the use of our campus facilities for residents without any additional expectations, we are also able to offer residency programmes designed to support those seeking a greater degree of professional feedback and involvement in the College community.
The Residency + and Burren Immersion:12-week Residency programmes are available during the academic year between September and April. The Residency + offers studio time combined with weekly meetings with our faculty, while the Burren Immersion:12-week Residency combines independent studio time with advisory sessions along with the ability to audit one or more of our undergraduate courses (without academic credit) during the semester. All of our residents are welcome to attend public discussions, visiting artist lectures, seminars, exhibitions and events throughout the year.
BCA Artist Residency
The purpose of the BCA Artist Residency programme is to welcome artists at all stages of their lives and careers to the Burren College of Art for an uninterrupted period of creative work. It has proven to be particularly suited to emerging and established artists and faculty wishing to investigate new areas of inquiry, explore new techniques, or develop a body of work for exhibition without distraction. While our regular classes are in session during the Spring and Winter academic year (September – April), during the Summer months (May-August), we host a variety of student groups and workshops, and the level of activity on campus will vary from high to low as visiting faculty-led groups, workshops and our Summer School take place. Artist Residents at the Burren College of art may work in solitude or choose to engage with College events and activities.
We accept applications on a rolling, space-available basis throughout the year.
BCA Artist Residencies are offered in 1-3 month-long intervals and include:
- 24/7 access to a dedicated 4m x 4m studio space
- Use of campus facilities: 3D lab for woodworking and metals (MIG and ARC welding tools available); a digital print lab; black and white photography darkroom; lighting studio; library; cafe and wi-fi throughout the campus.
- Optional attendance at exhibition openings, public lectures and film screenings, and additional campus events.
NOTE: Unlike the Residency + and Burren Immersion:12-week residencies, this program does not offer any tutorials or access to academic courses.
BCA Artist Residencies are available during the following dates in 2019/2020:
- Monday July 22nd – Friday August 16th
- Monday September 16th – Friday October 11th – WAITING LIST
- Monday October 14th – Friday November 8th – WAITING LIST
- Monday November 11th – Friday December 6th – WAITING LIST
- Monday November 16th – Friday December 13th
2020 (more dates to be added soon)
- Monday January 27th – Friday February 21st
- Monday February 3rd – Friday February 28th
- Monday September 7th – Friday October 2nd
- Monday October 5th – Friday October 30th
- Monday November 2nd – Friday November 27th
The fee in 2019/2020 is €890 for BCA Artist Residencies. While accommodation is not included with the Residency, we can provide applicants will a list of local housing upon request. Residents can avail of student housing for the period of their stay at the College at the all-inclusive monthly rate of €800, subject to availability.
Please contact Lisa Newman at email@example.com with any questions.