Postgraduate Tuition Fees 2021/22
(Please note that tuition and fees are subject to annual change.)
International Students €18,500 per year (years 1-3); €9,830 year four
EU Students €9,500 per year (years 1-3); €5,400 year four
International Students €7,860 per year
EU Students €3,570 per year
Hybrid Mode (Part & Full Time)
International Students €7,860 per year, plus €890 per month for which studio space is provided when in Full Time mode.
(subject to availability with advance reservation required)
EU Students €3570 per year plus €890 per month for which studio space is provided when in Full Time mode.
(subject to availability with advance reservation required).
These fees include the provision of supervisors, external examiners (including inclusion of an external supervisor when appropriate) and a Graduate Research Committee, studio space for Full-Time and Hybrid students, use of College facilities including the library and workshops, the administrative services of the college and the university, and a contribution to exhibition costs for examination including digital promotion. The cost of materials, books, external technical services, printed exhibition invitations and catalogue, travel and attendance at conferences are met by students.
Please note: Students are expected to complete their doctoral studies in the timeframes specified. If further time is required, subject to GRC approval, tuition for an additional year will be at the same rate as year 4 for Full Time students and at the annual tuition rate for Part Time and Hybrid Mode students. As noted previously, fees are non refundable if a student withdraws from the programme either voluntarily or through a failure to progress.
MFA in Studio Art / MFA in Art & Ecology
- (2 Semesters per yr.) EU Fee €9,500 per yr / International Fee €18,500 per Yr.
MA in Studio Art / MA in Art & Ecology
- (3 Semesters) EU Fee €11,875 / International Fee €23,150
Post Baccalaureate in Studio / Art & Ecology
- (2 Semesters) EU Fee €9,500 / International Fee €18,500
NOTE: To be eligible for EU fee rates, you must hold an EU passport which has been valid for at least one year prior to applying to the programme.
- Programme Fee €495
- Activity Fee €390
- Optional Faculty-led trip to London €700
- Optional Faculty-led trip to Berlin €700
- Graduation Fee €75
All tuition and fees are due at least 4 weeks before the start of the programme. The Burren College of Art accepts no obligation to refund any fee, or part thereof, after this date.
Academic Year 2021/22 – Key Dates
September 7 – Autumn Semester begins/Orientation Week
September 14 – Classes begin
October 27-28 – Midterm Critiques for all students
December 14 – Final Week of Autumn Semester
January 11 – Spring Semester begins/Orientation Week
January 18 – Classes begin
March 1 – Midterm Critiques for all students
April 19-23 – Final week of Spring Semester
April 29 – Graduation Ceremony
Scholarship & Funding Sources
Burren College of Art is an independent, not-for-profit institution which does not receive any State or government funding in the form of grants or support for Irish or EU students. In recognition of this, we assist Irish and EU students by providing a 50% reduction in tuition fees, reserving additional internal scholarship funds for our international (non-EU students).
Priority Deadline of February 1, 2021 for 2021/2022 Entry
The application deadline for Graduate Programmes is Feb 1st, 2021. Though we will continue to accept applications to our graduate programmes on a space-available basis after the February deadline, only students who have been accepted by February 1 will be eligible to apply for these scholarships.
External Sources of Funding
Other Relevant Websites
- XE, the online currency convertor: www.xe.com
- Further information about international scholarships can be found at: www.internationalscholarships.com or www.iefa.org
- Students should first investigate possible funding opportunities in their own country, then contact their country's Irish embassy. The Department of Foreign Affairs website www.gov.ie/iveagh is useful for locating an appropriate contact.
- Irish Department of Education student financial information can be found at www.education.ie
- European Citizen Information enquiries can be directed via contact details available from: www.europa.eu.int/citizensrights/signpost
- ICOS Irish Council for Overseas Students: www.icosirl.ie
- Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences: www.irchss.ie
- Marion Barr Stanfield Art Scholarship www.uua.org/giving/awards
- John F. And Anna Lee Stacey Scholarship Fund www.nppa.org/professional_development/students/scholarships/east.html
- Bruce T. And Jackie Mahi Erickson Scholarship
- Alberta Heritage Scholarship Fund www.alis.gov.ab.ca/scholarships
- Elizabeth Greenshields Award www.elizabethgreenshieldsfoundation.org
- Rhode Island State Council on the Arts Fellowship www.arts.ri.gov
- Getty Research Grants www.getty.edu/foundation