MFA/MA Studio Art - Admissions
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The application deadline is 1st February annually, although late applications may be accepted if all places have not been filled. All eligible applicants are interviewed either in person or by phone.
Applicants should have a Bachelors Degree with first or upper second class honours in Fine Art; or a Bachelors Degree with a major in Fine Art with a GPA or 3.50 or above; or evidence of equivalent achievement. In the case of an outstanding portfolio, a Bachelors Degree with a lower second class/2.2 honours/GPA of 3.0 may be accepted.
Overseas applicants from outside the EU must comply with Irish immigration rules regarding passport, visa, financial viability and evident of student status (e.g. letter of acceptance from the College).
English Language Requirements for non-native speakers of English: Applicants in this category should have competence in English, which is the language of tuition. They will be required to supply an IELTS unless their primary degree has been taken through English, certification of which must be supplied.
Applicants should submit the following materials:
- A completed application form.
- A copy of a recent essay on art or a critical review of an exhibition you have recently visited (approx. 1000 words)
- A portfolio comprising a minimum of 10works, which may be represented on slides, CD or video.
- A written statement of approx. 500 words that clearly states what you seek to attain through study on this programme.
- A résumé providing details of education, employment history, exhibitions and publications.
- Official certificate or transcript for all degree awards received.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- A Copy of Birth Certificate
- €50 Application Fee which can be paid online here.
Most application materials can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org however we request images on disk, flash drive or link to a website and hard copies of college Transcripts, which should be sent to the following address:
Director of Admissions
Burren College of Art
Graduate Studies: Fees & Scholarships
Fees - Academic Year 2015/16
- PHD in Studio Art (3 Semesters per Yr.) EU Fee €9,500 per Yr / International Fee €17,886 per Yr.
- MFA in Studio Art (2 Semesters per yr.) EU Fee €9,500 per yr / International Fee €17,886 per Yr.
- MFA in Art & Ecology (2 semesters per yr.) EU Fee €9,500 per yr / International Fee €17,886 per yr.
- Post Bac in Studio Art (2 Semesters) EU Fee €9,500 / International Fee €17,886
- MA in Studio Art (3 Semesters) EU Fee €11,875 / International Fee €22,358
- MA in Art & Ecology (3 Semesters) EU Fee €11,875 / International Fee €22,358
Programme Fee €435
This fee includes the following:
- Coach transfers to and from Shannon airport on prescribed arrival and departure dates.
- Pre-departure advising, including comprehensive Student Handook
- Morning and evening transport to and from college housing.
- 1st week orientation programme, which includes guided tours of the Burren, Ballyvaughan and Galway city; traditional storytelling sessions in Newtown Castle; a welcome supper; and a trip to an Irish set-dancing ceili.
- Co-ordination with Immigration Services in Ireland
- International visiting artist programme
- Use of all college facilities including computer rooms, sculpture workshop, photo lab etc.
- Dedicated individual studio for the duration of the course
- 24/7 access to facilities
- Internet access
- Library services
- Academic advising
- Free printing (except on the large format printers)
- 1 X copy transcript
Activity Fee €330
This fee includes the following:
- Fall trip to Tulca Visual Arts Festival in Galway
- Spring trip to EV+A exhibition in Limerick
- Subsidised optional weekend trips
- Fall Thanksgiving party
- Spring St. Patricks Day party
- Budget to support social activities as chosen by students in conjunction with the Student Liaison Officer.
Optional Faculty-led trip to London €650
Optional Faculty-led trip to Berlin €650
Graduation Fee €75
Online Invoice Payment
The Burren College of Art accepts no obligation to refund any fee or part thereof within 4 weeks before the start of the programme.
Academic Year 2015/16 - Key Dates
- Students Arrive - Friday September 4th
- Classes Begin - Monday September 7th
- Semester Ends - Friday December 19th
- Classes Begin - Monday January 11th
- Semester Ends - Friday April 22nd
Scholarship & Funding Sources
Burren College of Art Award
- Burren College of Art is pleased to announce 4 Graduate Scholarships for the academic year 2015/16. These awards will be made to international (non EU) students enrolled on our PhD, MFA and MA programmes. Each award is valued at €9,200. This consists of €5,000 towards tuition fees for the full academic year 2015/16, and €4,200 for accommodation in college housing for the Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 semesters. Should a student not require college accommodation, the full amount of the award for the academic year will be €5,000.
The application deadline for Graduate Programmes is Feb 1st 2015. Only students who have been accepted by Feb 27th will be eligible to apply for these scholarships, which will be awarded on the basis of academic excellence and evidence of financial need. Decisions will be announced in early April 2015.