What's Becoming Clearer
Friday morning we heard from all the voices in the room about what was becoming clearer for them.
Harvest of some nuggets shared:
- Everything begins and ends with the student
- Awareness of all the layers (nature, self, community, etc.)
- Shedding boundaries, opening possibilities, places where different people can connect and explore
- Art is a responsibility
- Context creates meaning in art, maybe in education too? Having school embedded in the environment and community – how does my school deal with this in the way that this school does in the Burren?
- Desire for experimentation – need for change
- What is possibly the role/contribution of arts education in the wider world?
- Our students experience brought us here, see the necessity for my school to contribute to my city, must become leaders in the regeneration of our cities and environment
- There is room for cross-institutional collaboration, innovation at the edges – what’s the responsibility of those of us at the center?
- Reaffirming a new way
- Lone wolf isn’t enough
- Institutions need to hold these alternative models lightly to not squeeze the life out of them
- BCA is our most engaged and treasured international affiliate (AICAD)
- Diversity – no one way
- Community – engaging, shared vision, diversity, the place where I am most myself
- Apprenticing to ur mastery
- Go slow to go fast
- Faster alone further together
- Seeds for afternoon conversations, connections
World Café – an audacious community conversation.
Friday afternoon opened with a conversation to explore new possibilities sparked in the morning. Participants gathered at small tables to discuss this question:
- What would it take for these new ‘sparks’ to take hold?
The photos below demonstrate a sampling of the conversations, which then lead to the final discussions that followed.
- Images from the Introductory session
- Images and feedback from The Four Stories session
- Images and feedback from The Final Dialogue session
- Back to Ex-Centric Symposium